We don’t want you to break the bank by spending all your holiday expenses on gas instead of gifts for your loved ones. But we are sure you have a ton of road travel to plan for the next upcoming weeks. To help you save some coins, we’ve decided to share some of our secrets on how to save money on fuel.
Tips on How to Improve Your Vehicle’s Fuel Economy
- Join Loyalty Rewards Program. If you aren’t already doing this, you should! Some of them give you a bonus for joining, and you will be able to save a couple of cents a gallon on gas with every fill-up. It may not be a lot, but it will contribute to major savings over time.
- Get Rid of Excess Weight. Unless you drive around in a U-haul, you shouldn't be carrying heavy-weight items in your car 24/7. Clean out that junk and save more money on gas.
- Avoid Rapid Speeding and Braking. When you maintain a constant speed and do not go back and forth between speeding and braking, you get the most out of each drop of gas. Make sure when you accelerate or brake, you do it slowly.
- Limit AC/Heat when possible. When driving on city roads, feel free to roll down the windows instead of exhausting the A/C. It can save you some money.
- Avoid Idling. Warming up your engine by idling is something that most cars today don’t need anymore. When you let your car idle for too long, it actually wastes more gas then turning it off and switching it back on.
- Know Your Fuel Grades. Some people misunderstand that premium fuel doesn’t mean that it is better for your car. It all has to do with octane levels. If your car states that it needs regular gas, don’t overspend on premium. You won’t notice a difference.
- Tire Maintenance. Make sure you always keep up with your tire maintenance to promote even tire wear and optimal fuel efficiency.
We hope some of these tips and tricks help improve your fuel spending habits. If your car needs a little TLC before the holidays, feel free to bring it to County Line Auto Service for quality maintenance.